Saturday, February 20, 2010

Basics, Jitters, and Packing -- oh my!



I AM GOING TO ROCK THIS.  It's been more than 1 year since I received my PC nomination letter and I'm finally setting off. 7 days away. Although I'm feeling a myriad of emotions - sad, happy, excited, nervous, etc. - I am PUMPED for Madagascar.


First, let's cover the basics.
Why am I joining the Peace Corps?  Since sophomore year in college I decided that right after college I would dedicate 27 months of my life to helping others. If you spend your ENTIRE adult life working to provide for yourself and for your family and furthering your career, then how long is 2 years in comparison? USC went by in the blink of any eye. - Bye bye, 4 years. So 2 years can't be that hard. (..right?) Fortunately (and also unfortunately) the process to becoming a volunteer is really long. During my wait I've researched more about Africa and the various careers in foreign policy / economic development that RPCVs (returned PC Volunteers) went into and now I'm thinking this could be a nice segue to my career. Let's see where this road less-traveled leads. 


Serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer touches on all of my interests - languages, cultures, seeing the world, business, helping others. I am truly blessed to have this opportunity.


What will I actually be doing? As a Small Enterprise Development (SED) Volunteer I will be assigned to collaborate with either an NGO or a Madagascar government agency to help develop a small business / local community. My PC Madagascar assignment is described as follows:
- Work with potential entrepreneurs to develop their capacities in accounting, organization, and basic management, as well as providing higher level tech assistance to existing entrepreneurs in areas such as inventory management, cost control and distribution systems 
- Helping small businesses expand by adding new products, entering new markets and improving production processes   
-Assist in efforts to start, manage, and expand microfinance institutions that support income-generating activities at the community level.

I've read different blogs / seen different youtube videos about SED volunteers doing anything from helping local sugar cane farmers reach international markets to promoting fair trade and organizing labor unions. So there's a whole gamut of possibilities. ... I'm excited. 



On top of my SED primary responsibilities I'll also have a secondary project that addresses another need in the community, but that's more expressive of what I'm really interested in doing. I've seen one volunteer create a Hip Hop Class for the children in her village, another volunteer started a book program in Ghana, someone else helped rebuild a school. Again ... I'm excited.   


I have to be real with myself and know that I may not be doing earth-shattering work like curing AIDS or ending government corruption. I admit I can't change the world, but I know for sure I'm going to do everything that I can to make a difference. 


Am I getting paid? Yes. They typically pay volunteers the average household income in the country. Sounds like nothing, but unlike the average household I don't have to support a spouse or any children - I'll have enough. Not a lot. But Enough. Some PCVs have enough money to even pay other people to do their laundry. 


Where will I live? The first 3 months are Pre-Service Training (PST) and I'll be living with a host family in my own room. Then after training the PC will determine what part of Madagascar my actual 2 year project will be and where I'll live in my own "house". I use the term loosely because "house" could mean cement like this house ... or it could be made of bamboo and reed like this house. Let's hope the big bad wolf doesn't blow it down. Will I have electricity? Maybe. Depends on where I am placed. Will I have running water? Who knows. Will I have internet? That's most likely a no.  All I know is i should prepare for the worst so that when things end up being better i'll be surprised. -- So I won't be sleeping on the floor like my sister always jokes around about. 


So Madagascar, eh? I like to think I hit Peace Corps jackpot because it's an African island whose beauty is rich with unique flora + fauna endemic to the country. The 4th largest island in the world. 19.1 million people who speak Malagasy (everyone) + French (more-educated class). I thought after 9 years of French and living in France  I was set -- nope. 
DOWNSIDE: I hear French isn't really used that much and it's all about the Malagasy (merde!) 
UPSIDE: Some of the first inhabitants of Madagascar were actually from Indonesia + Southeast Asia -- So the Malagasy language is actually in the same family tree as Tagalog (Hooray for being Filipino!). So picking up Malagasy shouldn't be that bad.
Other things I know about Madagascar:  
- former French colony; gained independence in 1960 - so young!  
- current president (DJ) Andry Rajoelina, the former Mayor of Antananarivo (the capital of Madagascar) seized power last year through a military coup d'etat; the European Union, African Union, U.S., South African Development Community condemn his presidency. Democratic elections are scheduled for this March (oh goodie, when I arrive) but people are speculating it might be another Iranian election scandal. We shall see...
-People mainly believe in Animism (the idea that souls or spirits exist not only in humans but also in other animals, plants, rocks, natural phenomena such as thunder, geographic features), Protestantism, and Catholicism (PHEW! My parents can breathe knowing I'll be able to go to Sunday mass)

    Now let's talk the Jitters. 
    Like I said, I'm going through almost every emotion imaginable for someone who's leaving home + country to serve strangers. Yes! The unknown gives me such excitement and anxiety. Will they like me? How + when will I get sick? Will I feel like I'm making a difference? Will I be offended by some of the things I hear or see? Will I offend someone with what I say or do? Will people like/hate that I'm American? 


    What about all the modern luxuries that I'll miss -- my blackberry, my car/driving, high speed wireless internet, facebook, my laptop, my queen-sized bed, drive-thrus, starbucks, indoor plumbing, washing machine + dryer, the list goes on and on. Man, 2 years is starting to sound really long. HA! Good thing one of my core strengths is adaptability. If more than half the world lives on less than $2.50/day... I can too. Instead of all the things I'll be missing out on I realize there's so much more to be gained, things to be learned about the world, other people, myself, plus all the crazy life experiences to have. The scales are balanced again. 


    What about missing my family? Don't get me started. I can't write that much about it cuz I know I'll start crying while i type. but i know i'll miss them dearly and i'll do my best to write to them, send smoke signals, and yes, hopefully talk to over the phone at least once a week.


    So what am I doing now? - PACKING (and I guess technically blogging)
    80 lbs. Everything I'm hauling to the other side of the world has to weigh under 80 lbs. Clothes, books, supplies, favorite snacks, shoes... everything. The funniest thing is that I'm probably bringing 40 pairs of underwear, not because I want to, but because all the PCVs over there now strongly advise it. Makes sense if you don't have a washing machine handy all the time. lol. But I'm excited to use some of the cool things I had to get -- my North Face Terra 55 pack (courtesy of Ryan + Rudy) , my Swiss Army knife, my 30 degree+ mummy sleeping bag, my poncho (all 3 courtesy of my sister Myra), my solio solar charger for phone + ipod (courtesy of Mr. Jason Yujico), my solar shower (courtesy of Mr. Aven Wright), my North face jacket (thanks Kat), Tevas slippers, headlamp, etc. It's like I'm packing for a big long camping/hiking trip. 


    One of the things I'm not sure about is the clothing. What do you wear in country with two season - hot rainy and dry cool? On top of that, women are supposed to dress conservatively -- meaning no short shorts :( or too loose/tight shirts. Fail. I mean it's soo hot but you can't wear anything too revealing. Gotta keep reminding myself .. I AM ADAPTABLE. HA! 


    Wish I could write more, there's much to be done today. My last weekend in CALI :( Thanks for being a trooper and reading this the whole way through. If you have any other questions about things I might not have covered, just leave a comment... 


    6 comments:

    1. Soo exciting! Great post.. keep them coming!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I like how the first thing you will miss is your blackberry.

      Today, my living on $2.50/day was blown on Starbucks. :/

      Fight on Mins!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love you. You'll always be my (and yes, it must be said...) heart of darkness!!!! xoxoxoxoxo

      and ps hell yes you are gonna make a difference! don't sell yourself short!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Minnie... you are an inspiration. I will be following your blog... living vicarious through your adventures!

      The bamboo & reed "house" is adorable. You could even make some nice shoes out of the left-over bamboo.

      Safe travels on Saturday!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hmm perhaps I will take one week a month and live off of $2.50/day. :-)

      I have always admired people who go into Peace Corp. Its not the sacrifices I will be making, I just feel like - hmm what if I am lonely? But you are right its all about adaptation, and I know you will be great.

      Good Luck and safe travels--
      Miranda Love

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hello Everybody,
      My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

      BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


      1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
      2. Telephone Numbers:……….
      3. Address and Location:…….
      4. Amount in request………..
      5. Repayment Period:………..
      6. Purpose Of Loan………….
      7. country…………………
      8. phone…………………..
      9. occupation………………
      10.age/sex…………………
      11.Monthly Income…………..
      12.Email……………..

      Regards.
      Managements
      Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

      ReplyDelete