Monday, March 01, 2010

Here We Go....

Officially leving American soil today :) and I can't wait to jump on that plane!

Yesterday started a great day! Early morning I met my dear friend and lovely pledge bro - Lori Motooka. She took a 4 - hour bus from NYC to meet me in Washington D.C. We had my last Dunkin Donuts (for awhile) and then went to see the Lincoln Memorial and the Smithsonian Museum. Again, I'm overwhelmed by the love and support of my family and friends.

Then I had training -- lots of group exercises and lots of talks about "feelings" - our anxieties and aspirations. Apparently we're all afraid of getting food poisoning and "copious vomitting". HA! We all want to help others and share our talents. And when I refer to "we," I mean 25 Peace Corps Volunteers - 12 Small Business Volunteers + 13 Environment / Forestry Volunteers. It's awesome that we each have this instant connection with one another -- "I know the shit you've gone through to get here" kinda deal. I can't wait to continue bonding with my "Staging Family."

After several hours of hugging out our feelings (jk), a few of us hit the streets of D.C. and hopped 2 bars. I was very happy that I was able to reunite with my FAVORITE GERMAN - SEBASTIAN! Sebastian and I studied abroad in HEC Paris together and he's now currently working for the German Embassy in Wash D.C. Talk about small world.

So that's been the haps for the last few hours. I'm about to head out with my new friends to Dulles Airport to fly for 18 hours to Jo'Berg, South Africa ( as they all call Johannesburg).

Last note of reflection - I have a family whose love and support could move mountains. Thank you Dear Ate Myra for my book of pictures and letters from family friends. Thank you mom dad sis and ate for the random little surprise notes of encouragement you've hidden for me throughout my luggage. I love you guys and I will miss you!

12 comments:

  1. I've finally stopped crying because I am now extremely excited for you. =) I can't wait to see you in October. Be safe and try to contact us as soon as you are able. Sending you a big hug my little baboo! Laboo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Im about to leave for my staging in Senegal and decided to read the Madagascar blogs because, while I was happy to go pretty much wherever for Peace Corps, I was secretly hoping to be sent to Madagascar : ) Just thought I would say GOOD LUCK and that I'll be going through all the same things in 5 days...but on the other side of Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minnie - travel safe and try and reach out when you get settled. I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No updates in a week? Hope you haven't been eaten by a lion...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, don't forget the emergency kit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salama, Minnie. I spent nearly a month on Sabbatical in Madagascar, in Tana, the Perinet, Toliaro, Isalo, and Tolagnaro (Fort Dauphin). I will be most interested in following your adventures. I have a blog, and here is one of my Madagascar posts: http://stgregoryschurch.typepad.com/stblogorys/2009/09/lemur-island.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Minnie,

    Please update, unless you've been kidnapped by lemurs and taken to a vanilla plantation. In which case, you should probably do something about that.

    DL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What? You're in Madagascar? I really don't keep up with you. I didn't know you were thinking about the peace corps. I'll be in Mozambique this summer. It's not feasible to see you in Madagascar, but I'll be close!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i really miss you already meenz!!! <3, other teetz. madagascar is lucky to have u there! hope everything's going well and ur safe and not having any copious vomiting or diarrhea hahah <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete